Holding a grudge is letting someone live rent free in your head. ~Unknown
Have you noticed the majority of people are unhappy? One poll showed only 1 in 3 U.S. adults are “very happy”. That’s makes for a pretty long day at work and a pretty challenging time at home.
Unfortunately, wherever unhappiness exists, grudges do too, slowly and methodically severing relationships, disintegrating job opportunities, and breeding bad habits. I know because I held 2 colossal grudges in my life – one in my 20s and one in my mid 30s. I can tell you both were absolutely debilitating and a huge mistake.
Based on my own personal experience and the experience I’ve accumulated from serving as a personal growth and success coach, here is my list of the 25 most common ways grudges derail your success.
1. Holding a grudge costs more
2. Holding a grudge increases time
3. Holding a grudge annihilates options
4. Holding a grudge increases effort
5. Holding a grudge decreases net worth
6. Holding a grudge mutilates trust
7. Holding a grudge cripples relationships
8. Holding a grudge exposes weaknesses
9. Holding a grudge compounds negativity
10. Holding a grudge infects others
11. Holding a grudge weakens health
12. Holding a grudge impairs judgment
13. Holding a grudge saps energy
14. Holding a grudge extinguishes intelligence
15. Holding a grudge intensifies anger
16. Holding a grudge prolongs pain
17. Holding a grudge chokes growth
18. Holding a grudge terminates progress
19. Holding a grudge paralyzes thinking
20. Holding a grudge sabotages communication
21. Holding a grudge distorts reality
22. Holding a grudge obliterates motivation
23. Holding a grudge wrecks teams
24. Holding a grudge vaporizes influence
25. Holding a grudge mangles self-confidence
That’s a pretty hefty price to pay to hold onto a grudge, and the dislike of a person is never worth that much. Ever.
The fact is no one is immune to the ups and downs that are a natural part of life. Let this list serve as a road-map for employing the power of forgiveness. As author Steve Maraboli says, “Let go of the people who dull your shine, poison your spirit, and bring you drama. Cancel your subscription to their issues.”
All it costs is a change in attitude, and the rewards are positively amazing.
I’m living proof that it works as I’ve been grudge free since 2008. If I can do it, so can anyone who makes up their mind to do it too.
For more practical tips and strategies on maintaining a positive attitude to achieve new heights of success, explore more of this website, subscribe to this blog, and follow me on social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook). By doing so, you will have access to daily inspirational and motivational quotes that will drive your success trajectory upward. So don’t delay, follow me and think yourself to success today!